CFTC Technology Advisory Committee
|CFTC Technology Advisory Committee|
|Key People||CFTC Commissioner Scott O'Malia, Chairman|
|Web site||CFTC TAC|
The CFTC Technology Advisory Committee is a discretionary or advisory committee for the agency, which is focused on various issues of technology in the futures industry and their impact. The committee, which was re-established in June 2010 and renewed in June of 2012 holds meetings on various technology topics and makes recommendations to the CFTC. The committee looks at the new technologies used by exchanges as well as by participants and provides advice to the commission on the appropriate level of investment in technology needed by the CFTC to monitor such advances.
The Technology Advisory Committee was originally founded in 1999, however, its registration and usage dropped over the following years. In June 2010, the committee was reinstated after no meetings were held for five years prior. 
Upon reorganization, the TAC began meeting several times a year to discuss emerging and continuing technology trends and issues affecting market participants. Major topics include technology implications of the Dodd-Frank Act and algorithmic and high-frequency trading. As of 2013 there are several working groups within the committee that study pertinent issues and offer periodic updates and recommendations.
Members of TAC
- CFTC Commissioner Scott O'Malia, chairman of CFTC Technology Advisory Committee
- Dr John Bates,Senior Vice President, Chief Technology Officer and Head of Corporate Development Progress
- Gary DeWaal, Senior Managing Director and General Counsel, Newedge USA, LLC
- Evelyn Fuhrer, Promontory
- Richard Gorelick, Chief Executive Officer, RGM Advisors, LLC
- Dr. Michael Gorham, Industry Professor and Director, IIT Stuart Center for Financial Markets, Illinois Institute of Technology
- Christopher Hehmeyer, Vice-Chairman of the Board, National Futures Association
- David Hartney, Bank of America
- Steven A. Joachim, Executive Vice President of Transparency Services Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA)
- Ben MacDonald, Bloomberg LP
- Bryan Durkin, Chief Operating Officer and Managing Director, Products & Services, CME Group Inc.
- Charles A. Vice, President and Chief Operating Officer, IntercontinentalExchange
- Robert Garrison, DTCC
- Mike Evans, BG Americas
- Pierre Lamy, Goldman Sachs
- Lee Olesky, Tradeweb
- John Lothian, John J. Lothian & Company
- Marshall Terry, South Ferry Capital Partners
- Supurna VedBrat, BlackRock
- Jeffrey Trahan, Deere & Company
- James Rowen, Renaissance Technologies
- Clifford Lewis, Eris Exchange
TAC Meeting Webcasts
September 12, 2013
- Swap data reporting
- CFTC Concept Release on Automated Trading
- Swap Execution Facilities, Made Available to Trade Provision
- COMMODITY FUTURES TRADING COMMISSION Reestablishment of the Technology Advisory Committee. Federal Register.
- Technology Advisory Committee and Renewal of the Committee Charter and Membership. U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission.
- COMMODITY FUTURES TRADING COMMISSION CHARTER OF THE TECHNOLOGY ADVISORY COMMITTEE. CFTC.
- CFTC Announces Members Of The CFTC’s Technology Advisory Committee – Committee To Meet On July 14, 2010 To Discuss Best Practices For HFT/ALGO. CFTC.
- CFTC reestablishes Technology Advisory Committee. CFTC press release.
- CFTC official admits data still collected by fax. FT.