|Headquarters||London, England (Head Office); Melbourne, Australia|
|Key People||Asher Tan, Co-Founder/CEO; Ryan Zhou, Co-Founder/COO|
|Products||Digital Wallets, Cryptocurrency Card, Digital Currency Trading Platform, Crypto Exchange|
CoinJar is an Australian (UK based) cryptocurrency trading platform and wallet founded in 2013 by Asher Tan and Ryan Zhou. In addition to providing a platform for digital currency exchange, it also offers products like the CoinJar digital currency debit card. The exchange has offices in Melbourne, Australia, and London, England. Supported currencies and cryptocurrencies are the British Pound, Euro, Australian dollar, Bitcoin, Ethereum, XRP, LTC, ZRX, USDC, and Basic Attention Token. 
Asher Tan and Ryan Zhou jointly established and built CoinJar in 2013. In 2014, they launched their first digital currency card in the form of the EFTPOS card, a trial run for users to spend cryptocurrency at various retail terminals. The same year, CoinJar's main office was moved to London after Australia announced that it would charge a Goods and Services Tax (GST) on Bitcoin rather than classify it as a currency. CoinJar moved in order to enjoy the UK's more "sensible approach to the regulation of new technologies like Bitcoin." This move was also made to further the company's goal of going global.
CoinJar launched a Peer-to-Peer app for their trading services in 2015. A version of the app for Android was launched in 2018. The digital currency card also moved out of its trial period and into the public in 2015.
CoinJar partnered with blockchain analysis company Chainalysis with the goal of improving compliancy standards as cryptocurrency volumes in Australia kept increasing. CoinJar adopted Chainalysis' systems, KYT (Know Your Transaction) and Chainalysis Reactor, to help monitor transactions and enhance due diligence. Also involved in this partnership were Assembly Payments, an Australian-based payments provider, and CoinSpot, a rival cryptocurrency exchange of CoinJar's.
CoinJar unveiled a new card backed by Mastercard in August, 2021. The CoinJar card exists both digitally and physically, and allows users to buy, sell, and spend digital assets from the exchange's site using local Australian dollars. Visa had announced a similar product with Australian startup CryptoSpend the previous month.
Products and Services
CoinJar's primary service is its digital currency accounts, which serve as both a currency exchange and a digital wallet. Users can use CoinJar to buy, sell, and store digital currencies/assets, send and receive digital currency payments and trades with other users, and manage a personal CoinJar portfolio. Security measures are taken to ensure the safety and protection of user data and trades. CoinJar also offers tailored solutions and support to institutions trading within their currency exchange.
The CoinJar Card is both a digital and physical product. The card has gone through three separate iterations: The EFTPOS Card, CoinJar Swipe, and the CoinJar Card. In its current form, the CoinJar Card allows for users in Australia to make purchases using cryptocurrencies in CoinJar wherever Mastercard is accepted. The card automatically converts crypto to Australian dollars after a transaction has been made.
CoinJar offers a bundle of popular cryptocurrencies that are sold and tracked in groups.
Asher Tan (Co-Founder/CEO): Former analyst and one of the founders of CoinJar.
Ryan Zhou (Co-Founder/COO): One of the founders of CoinJar. Completed a Bachelor of Commerce, obtained a CFA charter, and is enrolled in the Master of Science (Computer Science) at the University of Melbourne.
- CoinJar 2021 Review: What Is CoinJar?. Coinjournal.
- CoinJar Bitcoin & Crypto OTC Trading Desk. CoinJar.
- Australia's First Bitcoin EFTPOS Card Will Allow You To Buy Your Groceries. Mashable.
- Aussie Bitcoin start-up CoinJar moves to the UK. The Australian.
- CoinJar Launches New Peer-to-Peer BitCoin iPhone App. Forbes.
- CoinJar Swipe Bitcoin Debit Cards Now Available. Coindesk.
- How Asia's Entrepreneurs Are Disrupting The Finance Industry. Forbes.
- CoinJar emerges as Australia’s most popular bitcoin wallet. Sky News.
- Chainalysis Partners With Leading Australian Cryptocurrency Businesses - Assembly Payments, CoinSpot, And CoinJar Choose Chainalysis to Boost Compliance Protocols. Mondo Visione.
- Australian Exchange CoinJar Unveils Crypto Mastercard in Country First. Yahoo! Finance.
- CoinJar Digital Currency. CoinJar.
- CoinJar Institutions. CoinJar.
- CoinJar Card is here! Spend your crypto like cash.. CoinJar.
- CoinJar Bundles. CoinJar.
- CoinJar About Us. CoinJar.