MIAX Options Exchange
|Miami International Securities Exchange, LLC (MIAX)|
|Key People||Thomas P. Gallagher, Chairman and CEO|
|Products||Equity Derivatives Exchange|
|Website||MIAX Options Home|
Miami International Securities Exchange, LLC (MIAX) is a U.S. equity derivatives market. It received regulatory approval on Dec. 3, 2012 and began operations on Dec. 7, 2012. MIAX is owned by Miami International Holdings, Inc., based in Princeton, New Jersey and acts as its own self-regulatory organization.
The MIAX Exchange Group’s executive offices and National Operations Center are located in Princeton, NJ, with a Miami Operations Center, Annual Meeting and Conference Center, and offices for MIAX Technologies and MIAX Global, two other MIH subsidiaries, located in Miami, FL.
The MIAX family of exchanges posted volume of more than 232 million contracts in 2017 making it the 19th largest, according to the Future Industry Association's survey of the world's leading derivatives exchanges.
The national operations center for MIAX is also in Princeton, and additional executive offices, as well as a multi-purpose training, meeting and conference center are located in a facility in Miami, Florida.
Through August 2013 MIAX had captured .68 percent of the exchange traded equity options volume in 2013. By July 2016, MIAX had captured 7.49 percent of equity options marketshare. By November 2018, MIAX's equity options marketshare was 9.25 percent.
In October 2013 MIAX agreed to sell a stake in itself to six of its largest members. The deal gave Bank of America Merrill Lynch, Morgan Stanley, Wolverine Trading, Interactive Brokers, Susquehanna International Group and KCG Americas the right to purchase up to 19.9 percent each of MIAX's parent company Miami International Holdings over a two-year period in exchange for payment of an initial purchase price or the prepayment of certain transaction fees and the achievement of a certain volume of liquidity on the Exchange.
That deal - the "2013 Equity Rights Program" - closed on Sept. 30, 2013 and ran through July 2015.
On February 2, 2015, the MIAX Options Exchange (MIAX) closed its second equity rights transaction, the 2015 Equity Rights Program. The members involved were Citadel Securities, KCG Americas, Morgan Stanley, Optiver US, Susquehanna Securities, Timber Hill, and Wolverine Trading. That program ran through June 2017.
The deal allowed those members to buy more stock in Miami International Holdings if they increased the amount of trading on the exchange.
MIAX announced its third equity rights program in July 2017. The members involved were Barclays, Citadel Securities, IMC, Morgan Stanley, Optiver US, Susquehanna Securities, Timber Hill and Wolverine Trading.
The fourth quarter of 2016 saw the release of complex order functionality on MIAX.
MIAX Options launched its second options exchange, MIAX Pearl, on February 6, 2017, as the 15th US options exchange. MIAX Pearl offers a maker-taker pricing model, whereas the original MIAX options exchange offers a pro-rata pricing model. 
With the launch of MIAX Emerald, the MIAX Exchange Group now has access to approximately 80% of the overall U.S. options market volume.
In 2018 MIAX partnered with T3 Index to launch options on the SPIKES Volatility Index, a measure of the expected 30-day volatility in the SPDR S&P 500 ETF (SPY). SPIKES is built using the variance swap methodology and uses live SPY option prices to calculate volatility.
On February 19 2019, MIAX Options launched options trading on the SPIKES Index. The contract features European exercise and is cash-settled. The product is notable as a competing contract to the Cboe Global Markets' VIX contract. Citadel Securities is the specialist in SPIKES options.
|Year||Total Annual Volume*||Percent Change|
John Lothian News Interviews with MIAX
The Options Industry Leader Series 2018 – MIAX’s Shelly Brown
In this video from the 36th annual Options Industry Conference (OIC) in Amelia Island, Fla., Shelly Brown, MIAX executive vice president, strategic planning and operations, talks about launching MIAX Emerald, its new SPIKES volatility index, and MIAX’s equity ambitions.
The Options Industry Leader Series 2017 - MIAX’s Brown on Number 15 and Complex Order Books
In February, MIAX added MIAX PEARL to the options exchange landscape, bringing the total number of exchanges to 15. In this video from the Options Industry Conference in Scottsdale, Ariz., Shelly Brown, executive vice president, strategic planning and operations at MIAX, talks about figuring out PEARL’s fee structure and the group’s focus on continued development of complex order book functionality.
Sun rises on Miami Options Exchange: Shelly Brown and Doug Schafer talk about the new Miami Options Exchange
The much anticipated MIAX Options Exchange launched December 7, 2013, making it the 11th options exchange in the United States. Jim Kharouf, editor-in-chief of John Lothian News, spoke with Shelly Brown, senior vice president, strategic planning and operations with MIAX Options, and Doug Schafer, executive vice president, chief information officer and director of the exchange at the Options Industry Conference in Las Vegas. They say MIAX’s 72-person team has two things that differentiate it from the pack - speed and a regulator approval-pending order function that’s designed to tighten quotes and reward market makers for tighter quoting. They also touched on its next two exchanges that will be based in Miami, with a Latin American view.
Click here to read the whole article: http://jlne.ws/1ztuzD1
- Thomas P. Gallagher, MIAX's Chairman and Chief Executive Officer
- Shelly Brown, Sr. Vice President, Strategic Planning & Operations
- Douglas M. Shafer, Jr., Executive Vice President and Chief Information Officer
- Press Release. PR Newswire.
- Miami Options Exchange Gets SEC Approval, Will Start Dec. 7. Bloomberg.
- JLN Options: Hedge-Fund King You’ve Never Heard Of; HSCEI Vol Index launch; Kolanovic update. John Lothian News.
- MIAX Trades Ownership Stake for Order Flow in Deal with Six Big Members. Traders Magazine.
- MIAX Equity Rights Program. MIAX.
- MIAX Options Exchange Closes Equity Rights Deal With Seven Firms. The Wall Street Journal.
- MIAX Options Exchange Enters into 2017 Equity Rights Transaction. The Wall Street Journal.
- Miami International Holdings Files for Second Exchange License to Launch MIAX PEARL; Closes $30 Million Debt Financing. PR Newswire.
- OCC Welcomes MIAS PEARL Options Exchange. OCC.
- MIAX PEARL Successfully Launches Trading Operations. MIAX.
- Room For One: MIAX Due To Open 15th US Options Exchange. John Lothian News.
- MIAX Emerald Successfully Launches Trading Operations. MIAX via PR Newswire.
- Miami International Holdings to Launch New Options Exchange, MIAX Emerald, in 2019. MIAX.
- SPIKES Volatility Options. MIAX Options.
- 1 Volatility Trading to Launch on SPIKES Index. MIAX Options.
- SPIKES Options Launched on MIAX. MIAX.
- 1 Volatility Trading to Launch on SPIKES Index. MIAX Options.
- MIAX and MGEX Announce SPIKES® Futures Launch Date. Press Release.