|Key People||Steve Smith, CEO|
Zayo is a privately held, independent provider of light-speed data transmission infrastructure, with dense networks connecting the major markets in North America and many in Western Europe. Zayo partners with complementary network providers to provide customers with global connectivity.
Zayo was founded in 2007 by Dan Caruso and John Scarano in Boulder, Colorado. Since its inception, it has completed 47 acquisitions.
Early acquisitions included Memphis Networx, PPL Telcom, Indiana Fiber Works, Voice Pipe and Onvoy Inc.  Between 2008 and 2011, Zayo completed 13 acquisitions to create a nationwide fiber network.
Subsequent acquisition highlights include:
In 2012, AboveNet, which expanded Zayo's network to 45 states and seven countries in North America and Europe.
In 2014, French network operator Neo Telecoms  and UK-based Geo Networks,  to increase its European footprint.
In 2015, Viatel, which bolstered its European footprint.
In 2016, Allstream, Canada's facilities-based inter-exchange carrier, to become a Pan-U.S./Canada fiber network provider.
In 2017, Electric Lightwave, which added 12,000 miles of fiber to its network.
In 2018, Spread Networks, which facilitates coast-to-coast low latency fiber and wavelength routes. 
In 2019, Zayo announced an agreement to be acquired by a consortium lead by Digital Colony and EQT Partners.
In 2021, Zayo acquired Irvine, CA-based QOS Networks, a provider of SD-WAN and edge management services. 
In 2022, Zayo acquired Education Networks of America, which provides connectivity and services to schools, libraries and other public sector customers across the U.S.
Products and Services
The company provides communications infrastructure services, including fiber and bandwidth connectivity, colocation and cloud infrastructure. Its customers can choose from dark fiber, private networks, SD-WAN, wavelengths, Ethernet, dedicated Internet access, and data center connectivity.
- Steve Smith, Chief Executive Officer
- Andres Irlando, President, Zayo
- Jesper Aagaard, President, Europe
- Mike Mooney, Chief Legal Officer
- Ginna Raahauge, Chief Information Officer
- Marty Snella, Chief of Operations
- Matt Steinfort, Chief Financial Officer
- Julie Tschida Brown, Chief, People and Culture Officer
Board of Directors
- Kevin Turner, Former Chief Operating Officer, Microsoft
- Steve Smith, Chief Executive Officer, Zayo Group
- Sureel Choksi, Senior Advisor, DigitalBridge and President and CEO of Vantage Data Centers
- Marc C. Ganzi, Chief Executive Officer, DigitalBridge
- Doug Gilstrap, Advisor, EQT Partners
- Lisa Hook, Former President and Chief Executive Officer, Neustar Inc.
- Robert Keane, Director
- Melinda "Mindy" Mount, Audit Committee Chair, Former President of Jawbone
- Dave Pistacchio, Operating Partner, DigitalBridge
- Jan Vesely, Partner, EQT Partners
- Michael Wilens, Special Advisor, Fidelity Investments
- ↑ About. Zayo.
- ↑ Memphix Networx now part of Zayo Bandwidth. Memphis Business Journal.
- ↑ Zayo Bandwidth acquires Indiana Fiber Works. Lightwave.
- ↑ Onvoy acquired by Zayo. Crunchbase.
- ↑ Zayo completes AboveNet acquisition. Fierce Telecom.
- ↑ Zayo acquires Neo Telecoms. Fierce Telecom.
- ↑ Zayo Acquires Geo Networks. Light Reading.
- ↑ Zayo to Acquire Viatel. Business Wire.
- ↑ Zayo Completes Acquisition of Allstream. Allstream.
- ↑ Zayo Closes Acquisition of Electric Lightwave. Business Wire.
- ↑ Zayo Closes Acquisition of Spread Networks. Bloomberg.
- ↑ Digital Colony, EQT to take Zayo private for $8.2 billion in cash. Reuters.
- ↑ Zayo acquires QOS Networks. RCR Wireless News.
- ↑ Zayo Group Completes Acquisition of Education Networks of America. Zayo.