|Key People||Alexander Afanasiev, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board|
The Moscow Exchange (MOEX) is the largest stock exchange in Russia in terms of volume. It was formed in 2011 through the merger of the Moscow Interbank Currency Exchange and Russian Trading System, the two biggest Russian exchanges at the time. The capitalization of the combined company was valued at $4.5 billion ahead of the merger.
The merged entity was previously called MICEX-RTS, and took on the legal form of an open joint-stock company.
In 2018, the Moscow Exchange was ranked as the world's eighth largest derivatives exchange by contract volume, with 1.5 billion contracts traded, down 5.3 percent from the previous year.
Both RTS and MICEX were formed in the 1990s and for two decades were the leading exchanges in Russia, with the MICEX Index and the RTS Index among the world's top stock indices. The merger created a single entity that exchange leaders hoped would become a leading stock exchange globally for trading across asset classes and advance Russia's plans to turn Moscow into an international financial center.
The specific goals of the merger included the optimization of the Russian stock market, the reduction of the number of organizations with overlapping functions, the creation of a single platform for issuers, traders and investors, the reduction of transaction costs, and easier trading.
On February 15, 2013, MICEX-RTS announced the successful pricing of an initial public offering in Moscow. The offer price was RUB 55 per share, and based on that price, the total market cap of the exchange at IPO was approximately RUB 126.9 billion (US $4.2 billion).
In January of 2014, Moscow Exchange sold its stake in MICEX-IT for 440 million rubles.
In August 2013, Eurex announced a partial agreement with the Moscow Exchange to offer futures trading in rubles, but in 2014 the deal was postponed indefinitely partly because of concerns about Western sanctions on Russia. Ruble currency futures are among the most liquid financial instruments on the Russian exchange, with an average daily value above $2 billion.
In April of 2016 the exchange announced that Markit, a global provider of financial information services, had added the Moscow Exchange to its FX pricing distribution hub service. The move gave FX market participants trading access to the Moscow Exchange.
On 5 April, 2017, Moscow Exchange announced a new name for its MICEX benchmark Russian stock index: MOEX Russia Index. The exchange also plans to change the methodology it uses to select index components, increasing liquidity requirements and the basis for calculation generally, with the aim of making use of the indexes more convenient for investment funds and asset managers in their financial products.
Products and Services
- Securities Market (stocks, bonds, fund units)
Trading on the Securities Market of MICEX-RTS is held in three sectors: Main Market, Standard sector and Classic sector.
- Derivatives Market (futures and options)
Futures and options contracts trade on the Derivatives Market, which is composed of the derivatives market FORTS (equity, FX and commodity contracts) and MICEX Derivatives Market (currency and interest rates futures).
|Opening of the main trading session||10:00 - 14:00|
|Intraday clearing session||14:00 - 14:03|
|Closing of the main trading session||14:03 - 18:45|
|Evening clearing session||18:45 - 19:00|
- FX Market (foreign currencies)
FX trades are made in UTS, a fully electronic trading system that unites regional technical centers.
- Money Market (government securities)
On the Money Market trading is facilitated in two sections: repo in government securities and money market instruments, and repo in stocks and bonds.
- Commodity Market
Regulated commodity markets are operated by the National Mercantile Exchange.
Sustainability at MOEX
Information about MOEX's corporate commitment to the sustainability sector can be found on its website here.
|Year||Total Annual Volume*||Percent Change|
- Rankings and volume figures from before 2011 are taken from data for the Russian Trading Systems Stock Exchange
- Alexander Afanasiev, Chief Executive Officer and Chairman of the Board
- Andrey Shemetov, Deputy Chairman of the Executive Board
- Evgeny Fetisov, Chief Financial Officer
- Dmitry Shcheglov, Chief Operating Officer
- Sergei Poliakoff, Chief Information Officer
- Press Release. PR Newswire.
- About Us. MICEX-RTS.
- 2018 Annual Volume Survey. Futures Industry.org.
- MICEX-RTS. Facebook.
- Moscow Exchange announces IPO Offer Price. MICEX-RTS.
- Moscow Exchange Sells Stake in MICEX-IT to B2B Marketplace for 440 Million Rubles. Forex Magnates.
- Eurex Delays Plan for Moscow Exchange Partnership. The Wall Street Journal.
- Markit adds Moscow Exchange to FX trading connectivity network. MOEX.
- Press Release. Mondovisione.
- Russia's Main Exchange Plan To Develop Gold Bullion Market - CEO. Dow Jones Newswires.